Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Never Say Good-bye

This is a first for me. I have always kept my blog on my photography, however today I feel the urge to say good-bye to someone I would like to call a friend even though it was for a short time, or in the words of Evan Dando of the Lemonheads, "...a bit part in your life". I had the pleasure of working for Chris Smith Management, and met many great people. However the one person I think of the most often is Haydain Neale of jacksoul. I have so many great memories of a beautiful person who was always very positive and kind and, in my opinion, was a musical genius. I know the band didn't sell millions of albums, and that's is no way to judge what is good in music. Let's look at Aqua, Britney Spears and many others who have sold millions of albums.

I have great memories including one time stuck at Pearson International Airport for 24hrs on our way to NYC, the whole time he was making everyone in the band and crew laugh. The time in Hamilton at the Junos when I had to take him shoe shopping in the mall because he forgot his shoes, while everyone looked and smiled at us. I thought so much of Haydain I wanted to name our first child after him, I lost out to my wife's first choice of Beckham. It was around the time I was working with jacksoul that I met my beautiful wife, and the song, "Never Say Good Bye" was 'our' song... It was an easy choice to be out first dance on our wedding day.

I could go on about how important that short time with Haydain was and how he made a large impact in my life. I'm saddened by the thought of never seeing Haydain again, however I was blessed to share some of his time and I will forever be grateful.

My thoughts and prayers are with Michaela, Yasmin and his family, bandmates, friends and especialy his mother who raised a beautiful soul.

I was so excited to purchase my first DSLR that I wanted to make sure I had it before this performance of jacksoul at the Beaches Jazz Fest in 2004.


"I think music can heal and educate. If Jacksoul never makes another recording, I'll always be proud that our music was a positive force for not just love between couples, but love of self, community and the world."
Haydain Neale




No comments: